"I could probably get more for it if I just scrapped the metal... But it's nice that someone will enjoy it."
"Oh, I will!" I was already rearranging furniture in my head, choosing the perfect spot for mynewsidetable.
"I did mean to restore it. I just never seemed to getaround to it."
Well, it would need a little cleaning, maybe some repairs to theveneer, but "restore"?
He walked over to the table and began to lift the lid. "Do you want help carrying it home? The machine is stillixn there, so it's pretty heavy."
And there it was. A dusty and scratched up but nonetheless beautiful vintage treadle sewing machine. P. walked over at that point and the two of them took the cabinet off the base so each could carry half, and off we went. I held K.'s hand across the street, and must admit that she wasn't the inly one skipping once we got to the sidewalk.
The best part? The machine is a Singer, and they're currently celebrating their company history. Their website allows you to type in a vintagem achine's serial number and tells you when it was made. So, ladies and gentlemen, I am now the proud owner of a Singer 66-16 Redeye manufactured in... 1912!
Unfortunately in my excitemend I failed to take a picture prior to its being dismantled for transport, but here are the befores of the pieces.
The treadle:



No comments:
Post a Comment