Its name notwithstanding, this plant is actually native to southern Michigan forests. (Much like the Virginia bluebell, of which I am enamored. It will feature heavily in my woodland garden--once, of course, I find a nursery that is ethical about its propagation of wildflowers, of course.) What's more, Virginia creeper is one of the few vines native to the area, and certainly the best climber. But therein lies the rub. Virginia creeper is not invasive, but it is extremely aggressive. It is likely to choke out other plants in the relatively small ecosystem of the backyard.
To pull, then, or not to pull?
For now, i've decided to eliminate it, and give the spring ephemerals and more delicate wildflowers a chance to become established. Happily, should I ever change my mind, I'll only have to stop weeding for a season or two and this creeper will....well, creep right back.
And as I pull the creeper and assorted mystery weeds, I am replacing them with Wild Geranium, split off from the abundant clump at the front of the house. It should spread quickly and prevent weeds from re-establishing before I can interplant ferns, columbines, chelones, and bluebells. Oh my!

No comments:
Post a Comment